Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Humiliating Tales from My Youth, Vol. 1

If I am going to get the attention of Peter Frampton, I have to lay myself out bare on this site. I've gotta let it all hang out. In keeping with this spirit, I will proceed to tell you a series of embarassing tales from my childhood having to do with PF. So, since I am secure in my nerdy-ness, I am confident enough to share - so here goes.


"We mmmph mmmph...": When I was in the early stage of Frampton mania, I was a mere 10 years old, and, although I hadn't had "the talk" yet, I had a basic knowledge of the birds and the bees. And, being a devout Catholic, I knew not to talk about it. I also loved to sing along with the radio (a cute Snoopy AM number that had a strap I could hang from my bicycle handlebars...but I digress...)So, when "I'm In You" used to come on the radio, I'd inevitably burst into song. The line "You and I, don't pretend, we make love" was a real problem for me. So as not to freak out my parents (who almost disowned me when they heard me say "crap" when I was 15), I'd just gloss over that line or, better yet, ask my parents some dumb question - loud enough that they wouldn't hear the offending line and take my albums away from me for fear of my corruption. Of course, "Do You Feel Like We Do" had a similar, necessary cover up - the loudest line I ever sang in that song was "Whose wine? What wine? Where the HECK did I dine?" (Who knew Peter Frampton was such a potty mouth?) Scary, isn't it? I have managed to unpucker from my childhood exploits, but on occasion, I will still bust out with the G-rated line when I'm singing in the privacy of my car - just for old times' sake.

No comments: